For more than a century and a half, La Colchona has achieved a great reputation and prestige, thanks not to chance, but also to the effort and dedication of each generation that has been maintaining and improving the quality of its products. These sweet biscuits did not become popular until 1870 when Mrs. Micaela (friendly called La Colchona) made improvements to the recipe. She dried the flour to ensure the cookies lasted for more days, but more importantly this technique created the the harder outer shell of the cookie but with a soft crumble in the middle. La Colchona was advised to give the cookies to her husband who worked as a driver from Estepa, a small town to the east of Sevilla, to a near-by town, Cordoba. He began to sell them in the local square in Cordoba; and this was the start of the commercialization of this famous custom.